How is it possible to humanize the development of leaders?
Leaders are now engaged in major cultural transformations that they must have the courage to face. One of the manager's roles would be linked to the transmission of value, the ability to arouse the questioning, to make it emerge. Its impact is appreciated on the aspirations and expectations of youth. Leaders must prevent further social destabilization. The leaders therefore have a political dimension. They must also be careful of the gap between discourse on the project of the organization, industrial, political or educational project, and the financial realities that too often constrain their actions. The discourse between these two realities has become unbearable. It helps to sink a little more trust in authority. The leaders of many international groups have done considerable harm by their disproportionate remuneration, while the mass of small business leaders are fighting on a daily basis. It is a question of getting out of distrust. The managers can thus contribute to a new company project by regenerating the operation of companies. Today, it is necessary to take better account of networks whose human being is the strongest link.
10 axes will now be proposed to address these issues: These proposals envisage more complexity and personal commitment. They rely on the attitude of learning. They devote an education to democratic leadership.
1. The first step is to expose leaders to real situations, to plunge them into "hot" cases in which all their abilities and resources will be mobilized including their bodies and emotions. expression, realization or resolution. Because we know we have a brain, but we regularly forget that it is interacting with the internal environment and the entire ecosystem. Working our interaction skills requires being immersed in the real and elaborate about it.
2. Leaders are confronted with the complexity, theirs, but also that of others or projects to lead with strong human stakes. That is why participating in real group projects is a powerful vehicle for learning. On this occasion it is necessary to become aware of its truth, but also that of others. Self-evaluation in action and the reflexive dimension are two modalities that will help each one to increase his power to act, by a situate understanding of the phenomena. The project is, in short, to learn dialectically in order to go beyond formal operational thinking alone. This learning of dialectical thinking develops "the ability to see conflict as a signal of our over-identification to a single system." The democratic leader far from denying the conflict takes it into consideration as an element of dialogue.
3. The next step is to put the leaders in training, in situations of indecision to lead them to work the part of doubt, intuition, innovation and creativity they have to show in their function. The reasoning on "cold cases" (business case of commercial and engineering schools) already solved evokes the situation of another in which one is always a little stranger. Exposure to discomfort, blur is part of a learning discernment. The pedagogical situation gains in being incomplete to leave the learner the opportunity to occupy his own decision space. Only real cases produce this level of complexity.
4. In order to face so many doubts and uncertainties, it is important to propose contributions and reflections, giving broad perspectives on human existence, the meaning of life, the impact of an organization on its environment. It is about increasing awareness of the entire ecosystem. Today our planet is fragile. Leaders must incorporate this fact. It is a question of returning to the study of classical humanities, for example by rediscovering literary and scientific texts, the history of ideas that influence the world today, to consider the great questions, for example social, ethical and environmental considerations, to consider the whole and its parts and not just scattered pieces as currently presented in the management sciences.
5. In this information-rich world, leaders need to be helped to build a relationship to autonomous knowledge and to make their own experience a practical theory rather than instilling them into fashionable ideas that chase one at an accelerated speed, to the rhythm of the new images. It is about being in a generative perspective and not only enunciating or predicting knowledge. Learning devices then become more devices for the construction of knowledge and not just the distribution of knowledge.
6. Taking stock of what is happening requires the development of spaces and pedagogical processes that allow reflexivity, self-discovery and others to develop empathy. There is no management without the ability to build a strong and supportive team. It is necessary to increase the sense of the collective at every moment of the process.
7. Providing and multiplying opportunities for serving the general interest and learning how to make its talent available to those who have less or are temporarily in difficulty, is an axis to be favored because it is at the base of genuine democratic leadership that goes beyond the exercise of a function. Putting oneself at the service of others is learned throughout the educational process and not only at the end when entering the higher education institution, or when taking up post.
8. Accompanying the development of an assumed command post is an issue that aims to promote an authority based on experience, competence, the desire to act for the collective, the government of self to be exemplary. This can be achieved through the provision or support of a mentor, mentor, mentor or coach who helps each person to find the answers to his or her question. The posture of command implies the expression of a desire and the capacity to assume the consequences of its actions before the collective. Re-read Marshal Liautey's book " (a French great officer XIXeme) The Social Role of the Officer" and you will see that the command goes far beyond the authoritarian connotation that has been assigned to him since the 1970s. Soldiers do not risk their lives they doubt the command. Obeying instruction is insufficient.
9. Each contribution of content must be associated with a time of critical distance in order to perceive its limits. It is also necessary to use this time to establish links with the contributions, the singular experiences and the events that take place. These points are essential to keep a global vision and to take the height. Critical debate allows us to refine our own ideas and learn to argue with those who express a divergent thought. This point is essential when one observes the difficulty of the leaders to interact with the social partners.
10. Finally, holistic and systemic thinking that cares about weak signals and the consequences of its actions must be encouraged. To do this, to encourage meetings with people of different intellectual and cultural traditions, to approach issues with a variety of disciplines.
These 10 axes prepare the way for a reflective learning of the leaders preparing them to act with constancy and resilience in a world that is transforming.
Cristol, D. (2014). Humaniser la formation des dirigeants: vers un leadership démocratique. Editions L'Harmattan.